Thursday, October 30, 2008

Missing Kids

So has anyone out there watched Dora the Explorer just because you just wanted to do something you would do with your child if you were at home with them? No?(Me neither) Anyway as you can tell I am starting to really miss my children. I got to babysit Stetson (Emily and Michael's sweet little boy) yesterday and the little things he did made me think so much about my kids. I was really greatful to be able to watch him though, I owe Emily about a million hours of babysitting. I have gotten to feel like what it must be like to be a child this week I have minimal concerns this week and when I go out to do something I come back to my room and it is all clean my toilet is scrubbed my bed is made(yes I have not made my bed this week) and I have clean towels hung up. The funny part about it is I miss doing some of those things for my children(well maybe not the things I mentioned) but I do miss doing for my kids. When I get back they are going to hate me following them around but I think I just might do that. Being gone has given me some time to reflect on my parenting abilities or handicaps and I have put together a list of things I do well and things I really could work on and it is good to look inside every once in a while. The thing that I know is that I can't do it by myself my husband is key along with our faith that Heavenly Father is going to guide us through if we only ask for help. I am greatfull for my mom coming to take care of the kids they obviously are not missing me the same as I am they could care less about talking with me. Tonight will be the first time in a long time that I will miss the Halloween carnival so if you see my kids there take a pic for me and give them a hug.Well I guess my big aha moment this week is try hard to enjoy every day I know people have really been effected by Pres. Monsons talk about joy in the journey and I can tell you I am ready to get home and and start enjoying my journey a little more but for now I am going to finish enjoying my husband.

4 comments:

Brett and Desiree said...

I laughed about Dora b/c Brett always watches Hannah Montana or Wizards of Waverly place, etc. when he is out of town and missing the kids! Hope you're enjoying your R&R, but I know the best part of the break is always coming home! P.S. Adam is the most adorable pirate! You'll have to post Halloween pics after you get home!

John B. said...

Ditto on Desiree's comment. I was with my mom in a hotel about 6 months ago and found myself watching Hannah Montana. My mom wanted to know if I ever watch anything by Disney channel and after a pause, I realized that the Disney Channel and Fox news is my entire tv viewing experience. We do weird things sometimes to "connect" with our kids or feel that they are closer to us when we are missing them. Enjoy Mike..he'll be gone with bball soon. Sally B

Shana said...

Hey Rachel!
I found your new blog on Emily's blog page. I email with her back and forth. She and her family are so dang cute.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello! I love this blogging thing. Rob always makes fun of me for doing it, but look...I found a way to keep in touch with somebody I looked up to a lot when I was a teenager back home. That is so fun. While I was reading your post, I couldn't even believe that your oldest is 12 yrs old.
Middle School... huh...that is a rough age. Your boys are so handsome. You gotta watch out for them...heart breakers! :)

Trisha Hayes said...

Hey Rachel, you made some real thought provoking statements that are SO TRUE! Aren't kids great? I definitely agree with finding joy in the journey. That's going to be my new saying to tell myself everyday to help me get through tough times because it is so important!