Saturday, February 7, 2009

Best Teacher Award!

Travis has been working hard this year on his reading and has had Mrs. Banks right there cheering him on. So last week Chris and I had a parent/teacher conference and it was amazing to see all he has accomplished since the last time he was tested. The only thing Trav still struggles with is his reading fluency/speed. So with no prompting from me Mrs. Banks offered as an incentive for Travis to set some goals and when they were reached he could come over and ride their horse, Spook. And anyone who knows Travis would know that that would be a very motivating reward. Travis accomplished his goal in less than a week and Saturday morning we went over to the Banks' home and Travis enjoyed a morning of riding.

I don't know about you but this to me seemed like a teacher going way above and beyond the call of duty. Both Chris Banks and Chris Townsend, the first grade teachers, are amazing women who are very committed to their children in their classes. I was just so impressed with Mrs. Banks willingness to help in the reward part of Travis' goal and in such an amazing way. Travis is well motivated now and he still has new goals to achieve and Chris is ready and willing to have Travis over for another morning of riding when he has met his goals.

I know Michael and I have stayed in Cowley for many different reasons but I am telling you that when I see a teacher do something like this it reinforces in my heart that we are exactly where we should be. I know that Chris does not read my blog but I just wanted you all to know about one more amazing staff member we have in our schools. Thanks sooooo much Chris. Keep up the good work Trav!

3 comments:

Fisher Family said...

Man, that's a great teacher! Maybe we should move to Cowley... any job openings?

Adrienne and Ryan Mangus said...

Way to go Travis! That is awesome of Mrs. Banks, but not surprising.

dcalvin said...

Good job Travis on reaching your goal and I too am very grateful for the quality of people we have teaching the children in our area. Both first grade teachers are amazing teachers and will go above and beyond as you know first hand. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.