Monday, February 23, 2009

Conference Champs


As I am sure most of you all know the Grizz clinched 1st place on Saturday night. It was a very exciting game full of drama. My heart was pounding so hard I am sure it counted as my exercise for the day!

The boys started off a little slow and I got nervous when we ended the first period down 14-4. The boys came back with a vengeance thanks to Austin Leonhardt and his amazing three point shooting ability. Austin hit 5 three pointers in the game and was the spark that set our team on fire. Not the usual characters played the starring roles in the game on Saturday but it was awesome. It was so good to see the boys who normally shine be willing to see that it wasn't their night to be the star and to see their willingness to take a supporting role. Of course like always Thermopolis' coach looked like his head was going to pop right off the whole game and I loved every minute of it(maybe I shouldn't admit to that.)

The team had such a great weekend and I am just like a proud little mommy. Which I know I am not but these boys sure have stolen a place in my heart and there is nothing I wouldn't do for them. It is amazing to me how attached I can get to Michael's team. Since our house has a little more space now we have been able to have the team over more this year than in years past and it has been nice. We fed the boys before the game on Saturday and the team is always so polite and respectful I enjoy having them in our home.

The most unfortunate part of the weekend was that Austin Leonhardt got hurt late in the third quarter. He hurt his knee and could not play for the rest of the game. He hasn't been able to get a MRI yet but we are hoping and doing a lot of praying that he will be okay. Not just for the benefit if the team but he already has had surgery on one knee it would be awful for him to have two bad knees. So keep Austin in your prayers.

We are heading to regionals this weekend. It is the first time in a long time that Rocky Mountain has been able to enter the tournament in first. Even in the late 90's when we won state a couple times in a row we weren't conference champs. So we are excited for the team and can't wait to see what they can do next. Our first game is on Thurs. afternoon at 3:45.

My kids love going to regionals it is like a mini vacation for our family after a full season of basketball. The boys love going to the games and then go swim as much as possible in between. This year will be great because I can have the older boys help with Adam and I can sit and watch. Our family sure is growing up and going with Michael to tournament gets easier and easier(except I still have to pack and then unpack the yucky part of trips.)

GOOD LUCK GRIZZ! I LOVE YOU ALL AND I KNOW YOU WILL DO GREAT!

4 comments:

Emily Asay said...

I can't tell you how excited it makes me that they beat Lovell AND Thermop. Such great news. I wish we could go and watch this weekend.

The Simmons Six said...

Not on purpose I gave false info on when the last itme we won conference was. The last time was in 1999 ten years ago. So sorry about the misrepresentation.

Fisher Family said...

Congrats to the conference champs! That's gotta be exciting. Good luck at Regionals.

Brett and Desiree said...

Way to go guys (and gals:))!