Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Update

I just thought I would update everyone on the Cole situation. We thought every thing was going fine with his head and then on Sunday the goose egg on the side of his head seemed to be getting bigger. Monday when Jodi was dropping off Ethan I asked her to take a look at the cut and she encouraged me to take Cole to the doctor. We made an appointment and headed to Lovell. The doctor said that there was definitely an infection and that he would have to get the puss and what-not out of his head. The nurse had to rub off as much of the glue(and there was a lot of glue) as she could and Dr. Caldwell had to push on the very sensitive big lump on the side of Cole's head. He was in sooooo much pain but he really was such a good patient. He did cry a little but never pulled away and never yelled out. I could tell he was hurting pretty bad and I even got a little teary just feeling so helpless. The doctor then prescribed some medicine and off we went (sticker and suckers in hand.) By the way the stuff that came out of Cole's head was sooooo gross it reminded me why I am not in the medical profession.
Dr. Caldwell told us that if the spot on his head got big again we needed to push the blood and puss out at home. I was not looking forward to this just because Cole now knew just how much it was going to hurt and I knew that he was not going to be as calm with us as he was at the clinic. We went to the pharmacy and got the medicine stopped for some ice cream for the good patient and headed home. Unfortunately Cole chose liquid medicine and it tastes terrible. So now not only do we have to torture him with pain but we also get to pour horrible tasting medicine down his throat.
Cole has been a trooper and we have only had to push on his head once. The medicine is horrible but he chokes it down and goes on his way. Maybe next time we will just go to the doc first, probably not. The funniest thing about this whole ordeal is that I think it has made Cole and I closer. I don't know why but I just feel a little extra connection with him that wasn't there before. Go figure. Moral of the story who knows when a bonding moment might come along and in what form.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does not sound fun at all. I hate to see my kids in pain. Hope he is getting better. That stuff usually doesn't slow boys down too much. (I'd totally be milking it:)

Megan said...

Ouch! Way to be a tough guy, Cole! Hope you have a quick and complete recovery! (Also, way to be a tough Mom, Rachel!)

Sally said...

Ok, so I missed it. What did he do to his head? I caught the facebook "gluing my sons head together" comment and knew something was up, but this sounds pretty bad. So sorry for both of you, and yes, I've learned sickness and pain does draw a mother closer to her children, or maybe it just slows them down to allow themselves to be close to us!