Monday, December 1, 2008

News and Unbelief

Today I heard the most disturbing news story and I just had to write down my thoughts. On Fox news they reported about how a Wal-mart employee was not just trampled but killed by a throng of eager shoppers on the day after Thanksgiving. I guess people had been lining up since 4:00pm the day before(I wish I new what town) and there were around 2,000 people by the time the store was about to open. The push and force of people(if that is what you can call them) was so bad that before the Wal-mart employee was able to open the doors the glass shattered which caused this man to fall to the ground and instead of people helping him to his feet they charged over top of him. In the frenzy for material items at a discount price an innocent man was killed. This is absolutely unbelievable to me! Are we as a society so consumed in acquiring the latest new THING that we completely loose our morals and standards?! The second disturbing part of the story was that the Wal-mart had to close its doors for the investigation and many of the patrons were angry. I don't know exactly what to write accept that first I feel horribly for the family of this innocent man. Next, I would like to express my feelings about the holidays. I love Christmas! I loved it for different reasons as a child as I do now but I would really like to be able to teach my children now to love Christmas for the gift of our Savior not just the gifts they receive beneath the tree. I would like to think that if my boys received nothing for Christmas they would be disappointed but know that we celebrate the birth of Christ and that is presents enough. We have our traditions to help our family focus on the Christ child but maybe not enough. If anyone out there has traditions they would like to share I would love some ideas. Merry Christmas and let's all take a little bit more time to be aware of those around us and help bring to life the TRUE meaning of Christmas.

2 comments:

Shana said...

Well as you know, my family always dips homemade Christmas chocolates with my grandma.
For the first time, I did them on my own. Me and one of my friends thought it would be fun and inexpensive way to give gifts.
What better way to get us in the Christmas spirit than choclates and giving to others right?
It was HARD WORK, but we finished them last night and took them around the everyone for FHE.

Megan said...

One Christmas tradition we had when I was pretty young was to set a plate at the table for Jesus Christ during our special Christmas Eve dinner. It was a simple but material reminder of what or rather who we were celebrating at Christmas.